In the past five years, cloud computing has become a new trend in the IT Industry. Many IT companies feel that adopting a cloud-based interface can lower their operating costs and maximize efficiency. Interestingly, this revolution has created many doubts and confusion.
This article is intended to address some of the common doubts. “What is the difference between Cloud Architect and Cloud Engineer?” Have you had this question in your mind then you will get the answer here?
Let’s start with the short intro to both careers:
What is Cloud Architect?
A Cloud Architect is a technical expert who designs the infrastructure of cloud-based servers and systems by taking the customer or business requirements in the mind.
They are reflective in the approach. They overlook the problems in the existing infrastructure and designs and reflect the mistakes and create a new infrastructure for the business.
Roles & Responsibilities of Cloud Architect
Here are the roles and responsibilities of the Cloud Architect –
- He/she determines how the cloud infrastructure should be designed and how it should be used to meet the final customers’ needs.
- Communicates the designs to the other staff, engineers, and technicians and guides them.
- Decides the operating procedures, data migration, development operations, etc…
- Should have a futuristic approach and record the designs for future use.
- The Cloud Architect has to communicate with the major stakeholders and other third parties and convince them to initiate new and innovative methods.
- Deep knowledge of programming knowledge like Java, PHP, Python, etc… And they should also have experience or a strong understanding of cloud-based platforms like Azure, AWS, and GCP, etc…
What is Cloud Engineer?
He/ She is also a computer technician who understands the cloud-based operations clearly and is involved in the day-to-day workings of the Cloud platforms. Cloud Engineer doesn’t care about the business objective or customer needs. The resource focuses only on the efficient working of the system or software.
It is his/her duty to monitor the solution and make necessary repairs, releasing new batches and maintenance. We can easily define the working of the cloud engineer with this simple slogan – “Build, deploy, Manage and Repeat”.
Roles & Responsibilities of Cloud Engineer
Here are the major responsibilities of the Cloud Engineer –
- Involving in the regular testing and maintenance of the cloud System.
- Developing a sound infrastructure as per the design plan of Cloud Architect.
- A cloud engineer should be comfortable with different operating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, macOS, etc…
- They are responsible to run jobs, deployments, services, etc., on the cluster. A cluster refers to a small portion of space in the cloud.
- Cloud Engineer is more focused on monitoring, measuring the performance, and ensuring the security of the particular cluster.
- The role should ensure whether the solution follows the design and company procedures mentioned in the design.
Difference between Cloud Architect & Cloud Engineer
From the above definition, you see the difference between the Cloud Architect and Cloud Engineer. A cloud Architect is like the Navigator, where the cloud engineer is like the Driver. They both work simultaneously and help the company to win the race. Here is more for you to know –
|Organizational position||Leader, decision-maker, and organizer of the Cloud Computing||Executor – Takes actions and makes the plans and designs come into existence.|
|Focus||Focus on the organizational goals and ensure all the needs and requirements are fulfilled in the design.||Focus on whether the specifications mentioned in the design are implemented in the right place in the right way.|
|Area of Work||Planning and Designing – look for new upgrades and involve in innovation.||Executing and evaluating- ensures the safety and quality of the Cloud Infrastructure.|
|Qualification||Bachelor or master degree in computer engineering and cloud-based certifications, or in any related field||Bachelor’s degree or basic knowledge in Cloud platforms and deep practical skills.|
|Communicates with high authorities like the CEO, CTO, business vendors, and suggests to them about new Cloud technologies and methods to adopt them.||Communicates and trains the internal team of experts, and other workers involved to build an effective Cloud Solution.|
|Ranking||Ranks above all the technical Personals involved in cloud-based solutions.||Is a subordinate(indirect) of Cloud Architect and superior of other Tech-consultants|
|Alternative||Replaces the place of Cloud Administrator||In short firms, he/she replaces tech-consultant and programmers.|
Download the difference table here.