Cloud Engineer vs DevOps Engineer
Cloud has changed the way how we do Business. Cost savings have led the IT assets, especially compute Infrastructure migration to Cloud. Accompanied by this move, there have been buffet of new roles which have pretty promising future in Cloud Computing. Two of these very crucial roles are Cloud Engineer and Devops Engineer. While both the roles are imperative part of any Cloud environment, but differ in their responsibilities and scope of work.
Cloud Engineer work area is focused more around provisioning and maintaining of infrastructure and platform for the Public Clouds. To put it another way, they can also be called Infrastructure engineers of Public cloud providers.
The term Devops is short term for Development and Operations. The responsibility of Devops engineer remains around software development and its engineering to expedite the delivery of software applications and services.
Cloud Engineer can be considered a subset of the DevOps Engineer. There is no mandatory requirement for Cloud engineer to be Developer, however Cloud certification becomes essential in order to enhance Cloud Infrastcrture and platform related skills. These professionals work in creating Public Cloud systems for enterprises to use them for communication and sharing of data, its storage, backup, including big-data analysis. In this role, the resource prepares architectures and platforms which would cater to diverse customer needs and their specific requirements. Scalability, high availability and redundancy considerations are also kept in mind while designing architectures. An interaction across teams is required to build the solution, including the platform on Cloud.
Responsibilities of a Cloud Engineer
Cloud Engineer’s responsibility can be described as below –
- Creating Cloud designs and solutions
- Protection of company confidential data over the cloud
- Update Softwares, drivers and firmware where required
- Ensure compatibility of all Operating systems
- Manage Cloud infrastructure
DevOps Engineers work in a collaborative way with operations and development teams with intension to release software products which are robust and within optimal time limits. In order to bring efficiency along with standardization of products, automation is another key scope Devops engineer needs to work on. This role also encompasses tracking the bugs in designs and also creation of automation opportunity for developers. Standard procedures may also be developed to achieve standardization and efficiency in product creation in addition to creation and maintenance of configuration.
Responsibilities of a DevOps Engineer
Devops Engineer’s responsibility can be described as below –
- Explore opportunities to automate things
- Using configuration tools like Puppet and Chef
- Monitoring security issues in Cloud
- Deployment and Maintenance of web applications
- Measuring application performance
- Application integration and testing
Key differences between Cloud Engineer and DevOps Engineer:
- Cloud Engineer is focused more on Infrastructure build and operations, while DevOps resource is dedicated towards development, testing and automation of tools and processes.
- Both the roles need atleast Bachelor’s degree to qualify for these job roles.
- The growth projection of DevOps engineer is pretty high (approximately 24%) in comparison to Cloud engineer (which is close to 6%). Though these figures are based on industry estimations and actuals may vary.
- Software Lifecycle management and Software development is primarily the forte for a DevOps Engineer, who also diligently follow Agile methodology. Cloud Engineer is more inclined towards Platform Designing and Infra designing to support robust Cloud setup of customers.
Comparison Table : Cloud Engineer vs DevOps Engineer
Below table summarizes the difference between the two:
|Philosophy||Responsible for creating infrastructure and platforms that help individuals and businesses store and work with programs and data online.||Responsible for software development, engineering to expedite the delivery of software applications and services. Agile methodology is used in creation & testing during the lifecycle of software solution|
|Key Focus||Infra and Operations||Dev, Operations and QA|
|Qualification||Bachelor’s Degree||Bachelor’s Degree|
|Job Growth projection||6%||24%|
|Software Lifecycle understanding||Less||Good understanding|
|Infra & Platform Designing||Yes||No|
|Agile Methodology||Partially followed||Diligently followed|
Download the comparison table here.
Are you preparing for your next interview?
Please check our e-store for Cloud Technologies Combo e-books on Interview Q&A on Cloud technologies. All the e-books are in easy to understand PDF Format, explained with relevant Diagrams (where required) for better ease of understanding.